Family Kids Life

Being a self-employed SAHM

Being a stay at home mom has its perks – I get unlimited cuddles with the kids, bras are optional, and if I should choose to remain in my pyjamas all day no one could care less. But I guess every mom is different. I know some mommies who are super hands on with their kids – a fixed time table, self-created learning materials, pre-prepared meals…the full works.

Me? I’ll probably go cray cray if it is just me, the kids, four walls, 24 hours a day 7 days a week!

Hence Aidan goes to childcare, and Amelie will start infant care when she turns 3 months old. It is hard to let her go so soon, but hey, I comfort myself with this premature quote:


Anyhow, knowing the kids are safely cared for at the childcare frees up time for mommy to get work done around the house and to generate some much-needed income from my home-based web design studio.

Have you ever felt like you are generating income simply to pay off childcare fees?

I recall when Aidan first started infant care, the damage to our bank account was around $1,400/month less working mother subsidy (-$300). Now that he is in Nursery 2 the fees are more manageable, ranging around $800/month less subsidy.

Just last month I was searching for infant care services (IFC) for Amelie on ECDA which showed that IFC now costs a whopping ~$1,900/month (PCF Sparkletots)!! There were the odd 1 or 2 centres whose names I have never heard of that offered their IFC at ~$800 but their location is too far from our place.

After subsidies, I will have to fork out $2,200 (Amelie $1,400 + Aidan $800). Thinking about childcare costs drives me up the wall. It seems more economical to simply hire a domestic helper (who will do the laundry and dishes, and watch the 2 kids as well), but we all know how hard it is to get a trustworthy, mature helper. Sigh. The kids need their grandparents! Unfortunately the kid’s 爷爷 and 外婆 are both working, and they plan to remain in the workforce for another few years.

To actually qualify for subsidies, you will need to be a working mom. Otherwise, be prepared to pay full rate! Since I am self-employed, I had to declare my working hours aka make a statutory declaration at the Supreme Court. If you are a freelance worker, working from home, or run your own business, make sure not to miss out on the subsidies!

How to Obtain a Statutory Declaration

  1. Download this declaration form and fill it out – don’t sign on the form yet! You will need to do this in front of the Commissioner.
  2. If you are lazy (like me) to print the form, just go to the address below and ask for a form to fill out on the spot.
  3. Bring your NRIC!
  4. You can make the statutory declaration at this address:

    Commissioner For Oaths Section New Supreme Court Building
    1 Supreme Court Lane
    Level 3M S178879

    There is no need to make an appointment. You can just walk-in to the customer service front desk and inform them that you wish to do a statutory declaration.

  5. Payment first: the statutory declaration will cost you $20. Cash and Nets only.
  6. You will be called into a room where you will verbally declare the contents on the form, sign, and you can keep the form and go.
  7. Submit statutory declaration to your child’s childcare centre for processing. I made a copy for my own safe-keeping. You should too! 😉


23 Jan 2019
Update: So I’ve heard from many fellow moms that the Commissioner of Oaths no longer offer statutory declaration for non-Supreme Court proceedings. As it turns out, you will now have to approach private law firms to get this done. I do not have a recommendation for private law firms but you can follow steps below on getting this done.

  1. Get a statutory declaration form — you may download a copy here from the Supreme Court website.
  2. Fill out the form with exactly what you want to declare. E.g. I am self-employed in X line of business and work X number of hours per month.
  3. Find any Commissioner of Oaths in a private law firm to affirm your statutory declaration.
  4. Bring any supporting documents, and your NRIC for verification. You will swear/affirm your declaration in front of the Commissioner of Oaths and sign the form. Your declaration is now affirmed.
  5. Note: You should be aware that knowingly making a false statutory declaration is a criminal offence under local law. Doing so may subject you to a term of imprisonment of up to 7 years and/or a fine. Don’t play play! 😱

You Might Also Like...


  • Rag
    October 22, 2017 at 1:39 pm

    What about income tax and all? Will they come and check?

  • Joyce Wong
    December 3, 2017 at 2:21 pm

    They do not check income tax at point of declaration but when it comes to filling out subsidy forms, I am pretty sure there is a declaration on working hours and gross/PCI household income (they may check this). You should make accurate declarations to avoid getting in trouble! 🙂

  • AG
    April 5, 2018 at 3:58 pm

    Hi can I check if we are required to register a company name before we need to do this ?

  • Fs
    May 24, 2018 at 12:40 am

    Do you need to give a breakdown to ECDA regards to your working hours weekly?Whats the outcome now?Any additional subsidies?

  • Joyce Wong
    June 5, 2018 at 10:01 pm

    They did not require that at the time, though I’m not sure if that process has changed.

  • Ying
    July 18, 2018 at 3:30 pm

    Hi! I just called the Commissioner For Oaths Section and was told that they don’t sign the form anymore. They advised to commission a lawyer to do it.

  • Chua Xiao Han
    September 12, 2018 at 11:38 pm

    Freelance job don’t have a fixed working hours every month. So what should we do?

  • Jolene Ann
    October 4, 2018 at 5:45 pm

    Hi I have recently quit my job and registered my own business so I haven’t inform the childcare about my employment status changes. Should I just submit my Business profile registration doc to the school or I have to do the declaration by myself ? TIA !

  • K
    January 8, 2019 at 9:54 am

    I called commissioner for oaths, they replied that they no longer provide this service and advise me to seek for lawyers. Can you share how you get the declaration now for school fee subsidy? Thanks!

  • Joyce Wong
    January 23, 2019 at 5:01 pm

    I am sorry to hear that, and thanks for the update! If that is the case, it seems like you may have to pay a small fee to get the documentation via a legal firm. I currently have returned to the workforce, and have not been keeping updated with recent practices. I hope you managed to get the declaration done successfully! If you have tips on how you went about it, feel free to share back here.

Leave a Reply